Getting Married in Vermont

The Town Clerk issues marriage licenses.  The cost for a license is $60, plus $10 of a certified copy of your license after the wedding.  If you wish to fill out the application ahead of time, you can download it below.  Please fill it out completely, and spell out all names (do not use initials).  Both parties must be present to obtain a marriage license.  Please bring a form of identification, such as a drivers license, passport etc. and a copy of any past divorces you may have, we need to see a copy of each one.

If both of you are Vermont residents, the license may be obtained in either of your towns of residence.  If just one of you is a Vermont resident, you must obtain the license in that town.  If neither of you are a Vermont resident, you may get the license from any town clerk in the State of Vermont.

The license is valid for 60 days.  The wedding ceremony must be performed by a judge, justice of the peace or an ordained or licensed member of the clergy residing in the State of Vermont.  For a list of Orange Justices of the Peace, see below.

For more information on getting married in Vermont, see the “Getting Married in Vermont FAQs” document below or email/call the Town Clerk’s office.

Town of Orange Justices of the Peace

• Francis “Fred” Kidder (802) 498-4550
• Lee Martenson (802) 479-0334
• Tina Otis (802) 249-1865
• Sue Perreault (802) 479-2570
• Lee Youngman (802) 476-2789

Getting Married in Vermont FAQs – Updated 2019

Civil Marriage Application – Revised 2019

Last updated 12/9/2019 3:33:15 PM