Town Clerk/Treasurer

The Town Clerk’s Office is located at 392 US RT 302.  The office hours are 8:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M. – 4:00P.M. Tuesday – Thursday.  The Town Clerk is Angela Eastman. Phone number is 479-2673. The Town Treasurer is Linda Eggleston. Phone number is  479-2673.  The mailing address is P.O. Box 233 East Barre, Vermont  05649.

In the State of Vermont, deeds are recorded by towns of residence and not by county.  Before you send a deed to be recorded, please check the town of residence and not send to the Town of Orange thinking this is the County Office.

The Town Clerk’s office will keep an account of moneys, bonds, notes and evidences of debt paid or delivered and of moneys paid out for the Town.  In addition they will;

  • Record the amount voted for support of highways, special departments and general town purposes;
  • Collect taxes, assessments, charges and levies and maintain a record of monies collected and uncollected;
  • Receive fees for filing copies of records and other instruments;
  • Pay the bills of the town as authorized;
  • Provide detailed financial statements and reports as required by the Selectboard;
  • Maintain a record of all action taken at special or annual town meetings;
  • Maintain all town records and an index to those records;
  • Maintain and file all reports required by law;
  • Perform any other duties required by law, the Town Charter or Town Ordinances.

Other Services:

Recording and Filing of Documents:The Town Clerk records and files the following documents:  Warranty and Quit Claim deeds (title to your property), Mortgages, Discharges of Mortgages, Powers of Attorney, Subdivision documents, plat maps, attachments and liens to your real and personal property.Cost to Record Documents:

Land record documents are $10.00 per page

Mobile Home Bill of Sale is $10.00 per page

Notary Public Services:

There are two (2) notary publics on staff

There is no cost for the service

You must appear in person and provide identification

Do not sign your document(s) until you are in our office.

DMV Vehicle Registration Renewal:

The Town Clerk’s can renew your snowmobile, motorboat, trailer, motorcycle, auto, school bus and truck vehicle registrations provided you have the preprinted renewal form from the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Renewal fees must be paid by check or money order for the correct registration fee amount only.  Make the check or money order payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

There is a $3.00 per registration processing fee which is paid directly to the Town Clerk.  This fee may be paid by cash, check or money order.

Only registration renewals with current or two (2) previous months expirations will be processed.

Green Mountain Passport:

A Green Mountain Passport is a discount program for seniors and veterans with disabilities. Holders of the passport are eligible for reduced prices on goods and services from hundreds of Vermont’s private businesses and for free admission to Vermont state parks, museums, and events which are fully state sponsored.

Some businesses display a sign announcing that they offer Green Mountain Passport discounts.  However, not all participating businesses advertise that they offer the discount.  If you are unsure, please ask.

To be eligible for a passport, a person must be:

62 years of age or more or totally disabled as a result of disease or injury suffered while serving in the armed forces or a resident of the Vermont Veterans Home in Bennington.

To receive a Green Mountain Passport, just fill out an application at your local Town Clerk’s Office and pay a $2.00 fee.


Seniors may call 1-800-642-5199 or your local Department of Aging and Disabilities or at

Veterans with disabilities may call the Vermont Center for Independent Living at 1-800-639-1522 or your local vocational rehabilitation office or at

Hunting & Fishing Licenses:

The Town of Orange can issue resident and non-resident licenses.  A resident is a person who does now and has resided in the State of Vermont for the six months immediately prior to the date of application; and who has not, during that period, claimed residency for any purpose in any other state or country.  Exception:  for the lifetime licenses the requirement is a 12 month residency.

A resident owner of lands in Vermont, his or her spouse, and their minor children may hunt on their lands and take fish within said lands without a license.

A nonresident has equal privileges if their Vermont lands are not posted.  Nonresident students enrolled in college, university or secondary school within the State at which they have successfully completed two successive semesters may purchase a resident license.  They must present to the agent a certificate from the school affirming status as a student.

Any member of the Armed Forces who is on active duty and stationed at a military base within the State of Vermont may purchase a license to hunt or fish at resident fees.  The applicant must present an official document from a commanding officer verifying the applicant’s full time military status and station within Vermont.

Permanent Licenses for Vermont Residents 65 or older:

Residents may pick up an application form from any agent.  Once completed the form must be returned to the Waterbury Office for processing.  For more information contact the license division at 1-802-241-3703.